Whenever I think of being a better human, my dad is the first person that comes to mind. I haven’t met a kinder, more empathetic, appreciative and thoughtful person.
He is ultimate #PersonGoals.
I often take note of the things he’s taught me and how I try to be kind in my own life.
Here are 8 simple, actionable items we can each take to be a kinder + better human:
- At the grocery store, put your phone away and have an actual conversation with the person ringing up your groceries; they’re human, too. A simple “any fun plans for the weekend?” can go a LONG way.
- When you’re trying to change lanes on the freeway and someone lets you in, wave at them to say thank you.
- The next time you walk past someone experiencing homelessness on the street, instead of looking away (hoping they won’t ask you for money), smile at them. That may be the only human interaction they’ll get all day.
- If you see tourists trying to take a selfie (seriously, haha), ask them if they’d like to you to take their picture. I do this all the time when I’m running at the beach and people are SO appreciative!
- Volunteer your time with an organization. There’s thousands to choose from!
- If you’re out to eat, take the time to get to know your waiter/waitresses name. My dad does this and then calls them by their first name throughout the meal. You can tell that they’re taken aback by someone actually treating them like an equal.
- Send handwritten thank you cards vs. an email or text. I LOVE getting cards in the mail! It’s so, so thoughtful 🙂
- Be kind to yourself. This is probably the most important one on this list. In order to be kind to others, you have to come from a place of kindness. Schedule 10 minutes of time for yourself to do something that you love! Some of my favorites: reading, cooking, being outside and journaling.
One of the coolest things about being kind is that you inadvertently inspire others to do the same. It’s like this massive chain reaction of good people doing kind things…ahh I just love the sound of that!
Tip for the week: Pick one of these 8 things and see how it changes your day 🙂